[K12OSN] Sound continued...

Trond Mæhlum trondrm at online.no
Fri Jan 7 18:40:20 UTC 2005

This seems to be a hot topic these days. I also have sound now, I get
the best results with nasd. But I can't get mplayer to work with nasd.
There is no nas option in preferences. Some url about nas said that
mplayer had native support for nas, but it does not show as a possible
audio out. There is an esd option though, which works, kind of.

It works with mplayer, but not gmplayer...Can anyone help me with that
one? If I use the gui and choose the file It plays the first tone and
freezes. With mplayer from the command prompt it works fine.

In wine I cannot get any sound at all. Does anyone know of a trick
there?

What exactly does the sound hack in 4.2 do? I thought it would keep
the /tmp/.esd/socket in place, it does not. I have just changed it from
no to yes. I have not run any scripts after that, should I have?

It seems to me that most success stories with sound comes from using
nasd. I know that in Norwegian Skolelinux (Debian Woody) it works with
nasd, but it requires libaudiooss to use oss as the sound server with
nasd.

I have found libaudiooss and downloaded it, but make fails. Is there an
rpm somewhere?

Regards

Trond Maehlum