[K12OSN] icewm vs gnome

I am getting ready to roll out a terminal server at my school.  It
will be a dual 2.2 Ghz Xeon server with 2 GB of ram and will run
k12ltsp 4.2.0.  I'm using the IBM Linux client migration cookbook
(http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246380.pdf) for my
cross-platform authentication. (detailed in chapter 7)  each student
will have their own account with a home directory on a windows 2000
server.  I'm using IBM's solution for mounting home directories so
they will be mounted over samba.  since symbolic links are not
supported over samba it looks like I can't use KDE.  I would like to
know what window manager you would recommend and why, or if anyone has
a solution to get KDE running with a samba mounted home directory.
IBM's suggestion of mounting the samba share in a subdirectory of the
user's home directory will be my LAST resort if nothing else works.

Thanks,
-Nathan