[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

Tim Kaldahl tkaldahl at maplewoodacademy.org
Thu Jan 13 16:38:08 UTC 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 03:04, Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm asking this off-topic question because I trust the opinions of those on
> this list.  The laptop in question is my sister's.  It's currently
> dual-booting Windows XP and Mandrake 10.0, but the wireless config under
> Windows ate itself.  If I can get wireless working under Linux, that's what
> she'll use.  Mandrake is on there just because it's my default choice, but
> I'm open to anything.
>
> In particular I'm looking for good power management tools.  If the distro
> comes standard with them, great.  Or if somebody could recommend an add-on
> package that will work w/ Mandrake or something else, that would be great
> too.  I'd like perhaps to have an ever-present battery monitor.  What else
> is important?  (I don't own a laptop myself, so I don't really know what to
> ask for).
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> -Rob

I personally am running with both Vector Linux and Xandros (community edition)
on my laptop. The Xandros was easier to install, but I prefer the Vector
Linux SOHO package. Xandros installed on both my Compaq Presario 720 and my
Toshiba A15-S127. Both recognized my D-Link wireless card, but I had to
provide ssid and such under Xandros. Vector automatically connects and
obtains an address via DHCP. My access points are unprotected however, so I
don't know how Vector would perform under WEP. With FC2 on my Compaq I also
had to manually configure ssid and the rest. Xandros does seem to have some
pretty good power management, I haven't worried about it with Vector.
(Vector's apm monitor does seem to work on an old Acer laptop, but that is
pure experimentation)

I still consider myself an absolute newb with Linux, so take this for what it
is worth and I hope that it helps.

Tim Kaldahl
Maplewood Academy
I.T. Coordinator