[K12OSN] "Ghost" for Linux?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jan 13 16:39:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 09:49, Selzler, Bruce wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> Is there an open source "Ghost Like" tool for Linux?  I would like to be
> able to image drives quickly and easily.  Thanks.

I don't think any of the tools know how to resize partitions on
the target like Ghost does.  If the disks are identical you
can just boot a knoppix CD and use dd to copy the whole drive
(pipe through ssh if the target is on another box).  However it
really isn't that hard to fdisk some partitions that approximately
match, format them, and extract tar images into them.  That way
the destination drive/partitions don't have to match in size.
There are a few tricks: you have to fix the /etc/fstab entries
to match the new partition names or labels, and you have to make
the new system bootable.  The easy way is to boot an install CD,
let it mount the system under /mnt/sysimage, chroot there and
run 'grub-install'.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com