[K12OSN] yum.cron question

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Thu Jan 13 17:11:05 UTC 2005

Ah, yes, now I see.

>> Meanwhile, yum may have hung. Do a "ps auxww|grep yum". If you see a
>> yum process there (usually starting with "/usr/bin/python") kill it,
>> then try running yum manually to catch up with the latest security
>> updates.

The problem was that the there was no symlink in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d to the yum
script.  Without that, there was no /var/lock/subsys/yum and the cron job
just did nothing (as it was intended).  I suppose that's a reasonable
default.  I manually ran "yum update" to get caught up, ran "/etc/init.d/yum
start" and created a S98yum symlink.  Thanks for your time.

--
Henry