[K12OSN] lightweight file manager?

Richard holtniurka at cantv.net
Fri Jan 14 12:50:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 January 2005 07:17, Rob Owens wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a lightweight file manager?  I'm using
IceWM and loading either Konqueror (which I like) or Nautilus
takes a long time--a couple of seconds on my non-LTSP'd 2.0
Celeron.  I downloaded X-WinCommander
http://xwc.sourceforge.net/ and it loads like lightening, but I
really like the Konqueror look much more.  Plus I haven't
tested it out for functionality yet.

> There are a couple others I've come across on the internet,
like gentoo (a file manager, not the distro)
http://www.obsession.se/gentoo/

> I figured I'd ask and see if anybody had a suggestion before I
try every file manager I can find.

Have you tried Krusader?  It's very similar to Total Commander /
Norton Commander, etal.

http://krusader.sourceforge.net/down.php
Says:
" .. is an advanced twin panel (commander style) file manager
for KDE 3, similar to Midnight or Total Commander (formerly
Windows Commander), with many extras. It provides all the
file-management features you could possibly want.

Plus: extensive archive handling, mounted filesystem support,
FTP, advanced search module, viewer/editor, directory
synchronisation, file content comparisons, powerful batch
renaming and much much more.

It supports the following archive formats: tar, zip, bzip2,
gzip, rar, ace, arj and rpm and can handle other KIOSlaves such
as smb or fish. It is (almost) completely customizable, very
user friendly, fast and looks great on your desktop! :-)
"

It's the first thing I install on a new install.

regards,
Richard.