[K12OSN] Xeon vs Opteron ?

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Jan 20 02:43:36 UTC 2005

Personally, I'd go for the Opteron.  Though I'm not a programmer, from
what I've read, Intel doesn't exactly implement the AMD64 instruction
set properly, and x86-64 GNU/Linux development is really geared toward
the Opteron.  Also, the Opteron's just a better chip than the Xeon.  It
tends to quite handily beat any Xeon, be it in 32-bit or 64-bit mode.
And that's with over a 1GHz clock-speed disadvantage.

Finally, I have yet to see an EM64T chip actually for sale.  I see
Opterons all over the place, which means that they're not in short
supply at this point.

You should also compare motherboard prices.  For me, this would be a
factor; I've found Tyan boards to be very good over the years; I've got
a couple of their dual Athlon MP mobos.  MSI's dual Athlon motherboard
has also been trouble-free for me.  To my knowledge, ASUS does not yet
make a dual-Opteron mobo (maybe scared of Intel?).

--TP