[K12OSN] Get rid of my PCs

Eric Brown ericbrown at mi-spot.com
Sat Jan 29 01:44:32 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am no Linux expert by far, but I am an open source zealot.  Whatever Mac
apps they want to run, you can probably find an open source equivalent out
there some where.

I started my own K12LTSP lab this year due to the crappy old computers they
gave me to teach web design (Pentium 233, 64 MB RAM, Win 95).  I purchased
my own server, and made the network cables myself (I do that for a summer
job).

My problem is, when I get 22 of these old machines going with 20+ kids in
the room, it gets HOT.  What's more, we are maxing out our electrical
service in our building.

My question for the list is: are there any opinions out there for Thin
Clients?  Personally, I like the Sun Ray 170
(http://www.sun.com/sunray/sunray170/index.xml).  I was told Sun may be
having a twofer sale in March.  I've been told Sun Server software for these
thin clients can run off of Fedora Core 3 (I'm still working on that one).

Opinions?

Thanks,
Eric