[K12OSN] Crazy OSX thought

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Sun Jan 30 10:22:41 UTC 2005

cliebow at downeast.net wrote:
> the yellowdog guys have expted with runnning osx this way with no
> luck..they HAVE run os 9 this way.i have some docs at school...chuck

Yeah -- this is what I currently do in one of our labs.  It takes the
place of OSX's "Netboot" feature.

I haven't set up the server in two years though, so the cobwebs have
formed.  I know I had to install Redhat v8, because the customized dhcp
server was compiled for v8.

It works amazingly well, but there are a few issues.  Especially with
older programs.  I have computer freezes more often than I like, etc.
I'd love to use the bondi lab as thin clients, but my Elementary staff
would freak if they lost all the fuzzy-wuzzy disney type GAMES they have
installed.

...but I digress

-Shawn