Re: [K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

One thing to consider, though, using class or computer names, especially with 7th and up is that the kids will realize they can 'share ' work easily and that will happen.

We use individual usernames for every user.
More work once a semester, but worth it in my opinion. . .

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

Tom Lisjac wrote:

We have a final issue to resolve before we can deploy the system that
involves the way the school manages it's users. Rather then logging in
individually, the kids all use the same class name... which creates
instance collisions for Mozilla and OpenOffice. There are a lot of
classes and I'm using winbind/pam to do domain authentication and
create the home directories dynamically. This makes it easy for the
Windows oriented admins to manage the class accounts and helped us
sell the Linux approach in the first place.

At my school I took a black marker and wrote 1,2,3,... on all the computer monitors. The login can be comp1, comp2, ... and the passwords are all the same. No problems with Mozilla or OOo.