[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

Adam Melancon adammelancon at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 21:49:26 UTC 2005

I work at a library and we don't use usernames, but rather I use the
GDM Kiosk setup.
I used this site as a guide (
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/GDMKiosKMode ), but quickly
ran into some snags, so I wrote my own page on how I setup kiosk mode.
http://www.vermilion.lib.la.us/sysadminsite/k12ltspkioskmode/
I'm having the workstation login as the workstation name
automatically, and when they logout, the /home/$worstationname folder
is deleted and upon the automatic login again the home directory is
recreated from the /etc/skel directory.
It's kind of like a DIY version of centurian guard.
http://www.centuriontech.com/centurionguard.htm

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:21:42 -0700, Tom Lisjac <netdxr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:39:58 -0800, Robert Arkiletian <robark at telus.net> wrote:
> > Tom Lisjac wrote:
> >
> > >We have a final issue to resolve before we can deploy the system that
> > >involves the way the school manages it's users....
>
> > At my school I took a black  marker and wrote 1,2,3,... on all the
> > computer monitors. The login can be comp1, comp2, ... and the passwords
> > are all the same. No problems with Mozilla or OOo.
>
> That approached worked well for the first lab we built at one of our
> elementary schools:
>
> http://linux.hsd2.org/lab.html
>
> The middle school library is a little more of a challenge as we can't
> be as generous with file permissions as we were with the younger kids.
> :)
>
> If I can get the domain stuff going with identical logins, the
> teachers and admins will have tight yet flexible group control based
> on the class login.
>
> -Tom

Adam Melancon
Work: http://www.vermilion.lib.la.us