[K12OSN] [Bother?] k12ltsp for AMD_64

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Mon Jan 31 21:47:58 UTC 2005

Eric Harrison wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Sudev Barar wrote:
>
>> Eric,
>> Great job on 4.2
>> Possibility of 64 bit distro? With more people opting for AMD on servers
>> due to price performance...is it likely step?
>> Sorry for being a bother.
>> --
>> Sudev Barar
>> Learning Linux
>

> I'm working on it, here is a link to a post on this I made a couple
> of weeks ago:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2005-January/msg00166.html
>

> And as for architecture FAQ #2...  yes, I'm working on packages for
> booting old Macs as well ;-)
>
> -Eric

Well, After the same two weeks running amd64 K12LTSP - per the
instructions in Eric's email (above) I have to say it's working fine. My
last server was running k12ltsp4.0/4.1. I did a fresh install of FC3,
and then added in the various repositories and so on. It has performed
very well, and the 32bit binaries have mostly worked, with a couple of
exceptions. My crappy mpio mp3 player which uses the libusb functions
hasn't worked yet...

All of the basics seem to work, although I haven't got sound working on
the terminals. I tried quickly, but the terminal wouldn't start programs
- something about wanting libaudiooss.so.1.0. Turns out it's an issue
with nasd. I didn't pursue it. Who knows.

Angus Carr.