[K12OSN] Hardware questions

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Fri Jul 1 03:32:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-30-06 at 19:22 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> RAID 1 is not faster than a single drive at writing. Maybe reading but
> not writing.  Plus there is a performance hit on the cpu. I also have
> 2 scsi drives and I use one for / and the other for /home.  The depth
> of your TCQ on scsi drives is usually 32 but when you use RAID it is
> lowered to (I think) 8. Therebye relying more so on the OS to do the
> ordering of reads and writes. Also upgrading your home is easier. Plus
> I find restores easier if I'm not using a RAID setup.

Perhaps, but in the context of a Linux X server, redundancy is a
necessity, and RAID 1 will be faster than RAID 5.

That's not to say RAID 5 can't be used, because we've done that for our
customers.  However, taking into consideration the OP's situation, RAID
1 would give a performance boost, and most probably save him money, at
the same time.

Regards,

Ranbir
--