[K12OSN] regfile for redirect of My Documents

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Mon Jul 4 03:53:32 UTC 2005

This is part of a conversation that Chuck and I were having off-list....I
thought you might want to see it.  I use Samba/LDAP...thus all my users
have profiles and home directories in one server....my goal is to redirect
My Documents to the users /home folder thus enabling stuff to be saved
instantly rather than waiting until logoff.  Here's what I've found and
tried....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Check this out
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/honeycutt.mspx
  I can see how I can do this....using Samba/LDAP all my users have a home
directory....this lives at /home/username.....the profiles, however, live
at /opt/samba/profiles/username....  I do, however, map the users home
directory (when logged into Windows) with a login script that looks like
this....

REM To set the time when the clients logon to the domain:
net time \\10.0.0.234 /set /yes
REM
REM To map a home directory to drive f:
net use f: /home

thus....if the suggestion on this page works...I can simply make a
registry change and point "My Documents" to the users /home folder or a
folder within that /home by pointing it simply to drive F:   (I hope)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org