[K12OSN] HP Laserjet Printer w/embedded jetdirect print server

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Tue Jul 12 03:24:06 UTC 2005

Liam,

there still could be some heavy processing on the server.

The issue is, you can feed cups all kinds of file formats, and it will
convert those files to postscript or pcl.

You can shoot PDF files, JPEG files, HTML, all kinds of stuff, and cups
will figure it out.

Also, most of the time if you send Postscript to cups, it will
re-process it, to make sure the postscript stream conforms to what the
printer can handle.

The only way I know of to eliminate that processing is to set the
printer up in cups as 'RAW', and make sure that you only feed postscript
to it.

There might be a way to set the 'nice' priority for cups to not drag
down the server so badly, at the expense of taking longer to get print
jobs out.

In my experience tho, i've never had a problem with the processing that
takes place for print jobs.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org