[K12OSN] Thin Client

Bill Bardon bill at computassist.com
Tue Jul 12 18:45:03 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, Jul 12 Shawn Powers wrote:
> This year, I'm going to put all 3 into play, and try using nautilus as
> to supply desktop icons.  We'll see how it goes.

If you still want to have the performance that IceWM gives you, but add
desktop icons and backgrounds too, give ROX-filer a try.  Performance
with IceWM+ROX is much better than nautilus, and I've had fewer problems
with ROX.  Nautilus will crash or hang from time to time.

http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/

I couldn't install rox using yum or apt (don't think it's included in
the repositories), so I downloaded a FC4 RPM file and installed it
manually with rpm -ivh.

Install rox, then add this line to /etc/X11/gdm/Session/IceWM:

	rox --pinboard=roxpin &

I went so far as to add an ICEWM_USE_ROX option in /etc/sysconfig/icewm
and another if statement to use it in the gdm session script.

--
Bill Bardon
COMPUTASSIST