[K12OSN] LTSP on Sparc

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Jul 23 00:01:11 UTC 2005

Zouhir Hafidi wrote:

> norbert a écrit :
>
>> Salut / Hi
>>
>> Les stations Sparc utilise RARP pour se lancer, du moins c'est ceque
>> les miens exige.....
>

> :-)
>

>> The Sparc stations require RARP to launch.. anyway thats what mine
>> require.
>

> just update OpenBoot ...
>
> ZH

Yesterday, I demo'd this very setup for Thomas Jefferson HS out here in
Fairfax, VA, and in preparing for said demo, I learned a few things.

Mr. Hafidi is right; you've got to update OpenBoot to v3.31.  It was in
v3.31 that DHCP booting became supported in addition to the old RARP
method.  Yes, at last, I finally had time to try this.  It works, and
pretty well, given that Ultra 5's have built-in 100BaseTX/FullDuplex
NICs built into them.  :-)  This is good, because I have several Ultra
5's waiting to be used as thin clients.  However, I needed to modify two
lines in the file /opt/ltsp/sparc/etc/lts.conf in order for the mouse to
be recognized.

   X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "PS/2"
   X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"

My changes for my Ultra 5's were the following.

   X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "busmouse"
   X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/sunmouse"

I learned that, to update OpenBoot, you've got to have Slowaris
installed on the SPARC's hard disk.  My guess is that it's because the
Solaris boot loader likes the firmware updater program better than SILO
does.  With GNU/Linux and SILO installed, when you run the OB updater,
you get a "FATAL ERROR" message saying that the ELF binary has more than
one entry point, so sorry, better luck next time.  Looking for a way to
do this with a Free Software OS instead of Slowaris, I then installed
OpenBSD and tried updating the firmware, but sadly, a similar error pops
up with OpenBSD's boot loader.  Oh well, it takes about 40 minutes to
install Solaris 8 on these boxes.  I did so with one hard disk and used
that hard disk for all of my other Ultra 5's.  This saved several hours.

Once all this is done, this "old" UltraSPARC came right up with the
K12LTSP login screen.  The UltraSPARC's hard disk can now be removed.

The only thing bad that happens is that TuxType crashes with an X11
opcode error, though TuxMath doesn't.  I believe that this is because
the X11 version here is an early release candidate of XFree86 4.4.0 and
not the final version.  I imagine that a later version of XFree86 or
X.org would work fine; I just haven't had time to compile it and try it
yet.  Interestingly enough, I had previously had Red Hat Linux 6.2 for
the UltraSPARC installed on it and simply popped "X -query 172.16.3.254
&" at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  Why such an ancient version of
RHL?  It works, that's why.  :-)  The nice part for software testing
purposes is that RHL 6.2 has XFree86 3.3.6, which, as it happened,
allowed me to see if I could repro this issue with an older X11
version.  TuxType was happy as a clam with 3.3.6.  TuxMath didn't seem
to mind either way, though.  Ah well, hardly a show-stopper.

The end result:  I now have a single K12LTSP server that can netboot
x86, PMac 52x0, and SPARC boxes as thin clients...simultaneously.  How?
I have four NICs in this box--three inside, one outside, like so.

eth0 = inside, 172.16.0.254/24, Gig-E fiber (x86 terminals)
eth1 = outside, DHCP, 100BaseTX copper (to the main bldg. LAN)
eth2 = inside, 172.16.2.254/24, 100BaseTX copper (PMac terminals)
eth3 = inside, 172.16.3.254/24, Gig-E copper (SPARC terminals)

Each of these subnets and NICs is sitting in its own VLAN, and all the
thin client subnets are being served by dhcpd on the K12LTSP server.
Life is good.

--TP