[K12OSN] OT? Fixing an Open Proxy

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Sat Jun 4 07:08:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 15:11 +1000, Debbie Schiel wrote:
> They say I have to fix my open proxy, and provide information that goes way over
> my head. Can anyone provide a simple HOWTO for fixing an open proxy?

I hope you are meaning mail relay.
Edit /etc/mail/access and add only those IP address from where you want
to allow relaying. The table at my location is:
localhost.localdomain           RELAY
localhost                       RELAY
127.0.0.1                       RELAY
192.168.2                       RELAY

Further your can also add local domain names in the
file /etc/mail/local-host-names to restrict domains.
Thereafter restart sendmail service

On your router you can also block port 25 if no one from outside is to
do mail relay (e.g. from homes)

HTH
--
Sudev Barar