[K12OSN] Sharing with LDAP authentication

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Sat Jun 11 10:47:56 UTC 2005

Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using a Samba/LDAP combination installed with the smbldap script.
> Every user on the network authenticates through this server.
>
> There are large drives on the computers through the network which I
> would like to share with Samba. I would like to use the same LDAP server
> for authentication of users accessing these shares. I've tried this by
> adding the following lines :
>
> passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.0.254/
> ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=vorteksed,dc=com,dc=mk
> ldap suffix = dc=vorteksed,dc=com,dc=mk
> ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
> ldap user suffix = ou=Users
> ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
> ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
> #ldap ssl = start tls
>
> , but without success (The IP of the LDAP server is 192.168.0.254).
>
> Has anybody tried to do something like this or any ideas maybe ?
>
> Best regards,
> Peter D.

Do you mean you have other server / pc running Samba that you want to
make available ?

If so just set them to use your main Samba 3 / OpenLDAP server as there
"password server" something like this in the smb.conf file

    password server = 192.168.0.254

I have about 3 Samba servers that authenticate against our main server.
Currently we use NIS to share users & groups but in the summer moving
over to completely LDAP. Not too hard as most of out servers are eithre
Suse9.x or RH9 so LDAP / PAM stuff builtin.

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College