[K12OSN] OT : Ideas for K12LTSP usage?

Dave Hopkins dahopkins at comcast.net
Sun Jun 12 14:18:20 UTC 2005

All,

I have a curious request.  The director of the school where I volunteer
has asked me what innovative ways are out there to use K12LTSP in place
of more traditional approaches to IT beyond the simple use of thin
clients in classrooms.  He is willing to set up the school as a tech
demo for other local schools to see, provided we can get some funding
approved (which seems likely).  We already get a few other school
directors and DOE personnel looking at what is currently in place, but
he is willing to expand .... so ....  innovative  ideas?

I  already use LDAP for authentication, and tie into W2K Terminal
Servers via rdesktop.  I am implementing Backuppc (thanks Les) for
school-wide backup (have server on order, over 1TB storage will be
available). Teachers also want more MS OS-like capabilities: local
CD-RW, multimedia, etc.  Others want the instant grading/feedback
systems that are now popular (kids get the handheld devices that let
them select answers). I will be upgrading this summer to the latest K12
versions and thus will get some of this.   The director is interested in
just how close can the k12ltsp solution get to the traditional approach.

One of the things that I think would be very intriguing is using
TeacherTool/VncReflector to display student/teacher desktops to
ceiling-mounted projectors (and/or other thin cliens) throughout the
school.  (there are commercial packages that do this, but can cost $$$
and I have had requests from other schools for exactly this capability)
But ... can this be done easily?  And would it be user-friendly and
secure?  And could video be streamed to such systems to provide
in-school video broadcast?  All of the projectors can be on a separate
subnet if needed.

Also, how about a central network-accessible CD-RW solution?  Or an
easy-to-access virtual CD tower using loopback-mounted ISO's?

Anyhow, giving how well the K12LTSP 'experiment' has worked so far, he
is willing to set up the school as a tech demo for alternatives to the
traditional approach.  I just need some help figuring out what can now
be done while simultaneously holding down costs (both time, material and
long-tem maintenance).

Thanks,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School