[K12OSN] backup question

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 03:45:09 UTC 2005

On 6/19/05, Sudev Barar <sudev at mantraonline.com> wrote:
> > Are you sure? I wonder why I thought you could not cp the / filesystem
> > unless you boot from another / system (ie live cd)?
>
> If you sync'ng on to the same disk the....but why would you do that? The
> whole purpose it sync onto another disc or preferably on another disk on
> another machine (AND another location!!)

No I'm not. Maybe I was not clear. I meant:

boot the server from a live cd
mount the server scsi / and /home drives
rsync the scsi drives to the remote backup

In this way I'm *NOT* booting off the filesystem which I'm backing up.

> I find rsync fast and easy to use even when the files are being worked
> upon and it runs with exclude list so that no essential things like
> background and such settings (usually the ".*" files) can be excluded.

Okay so your saying you CAN use rsync on the booted filesystem. I
thought you should NOT do this. But I can't remember why.

--
Robert Arkiletian