[K12OSN] one more time

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Tue Mar 1 01:34:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 13:34 -0600, Petre Scheie wrote:
> 2a. Install an X server on the Windows boxes.  The X-LiveCD allows you
> to run the CygWin X server from a CD, and it also has an option to
> install the X server on the Windows machine (the installer has a few
> bugs regarding the icons and menu choices it's supposed to add, but the
> actual X server installs without problems).  If you're trying to get to
> the point of users just clicking on an icon and having it automatically
> connect to the Linux app server and loading the Gimp, say, you'll have
> to setup encryption keys with SSH & putty, and use those to
> automatically launch the apps.  I haven't done this, but it's an
> interesting problem; but it may require more effort than step 2b below.
[SNIP]

Did more or less what you have described to run evolution mail client on
a remote win desktop. Works if you go through all settings of PuTTY
properly, especially those that deal with X forwarding.

 Maybe since I was on remote location the speed of display rendering was
a big problem. End of the day I found much easier (and lot faster!!) to
just use PuTTY and mutt for reading mail.

Let us get feed back on how this progresses.
--
Sudev Barar <sudev at mantraonline.com>