[K12OSN] Two identical cards one doesnt work.

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Mar 1 15:35:36 UTC 2005

> I have DM9102 AF cards in most thin clients. They are bought
> at the same time and seems to be identical to me. They all
> worked with k12ltsp up until the k12ltsp-4.1 version. They
> all get the right driver assigned to them, tulip and most of
> them works just fine. Some of them boots off PXE, gets ip
> from DHCPD, launches the kernel, loads the tulip module and
> get no new adress from DHCP?? The DHCP log do show the first
> dhcp lease etc and leases out another one to the linux kernel
> but the kernel doesnt see that one.

For what its worth my homebuilt server for K12LTSP at home has an
on-board Davicom NIC which if I remember right is a 9102.  It work fine
up until 4.1 as well and afterwards was hit and miss for whether it
worked right.  I'll bet a different driver was bundled with 4.x versions
than in 3.x.  My solution was simply disable the onboard in the bios and
slapped in a Intel Pro100 instead.  But since you have a handfull of
them in clients probably not a easy.

This may not be relevant at all either since mine was in a server and
you have trouble at the client end, but thought it may be useful for you
to know.