[K12OSN] Logging of bandwidth pr user or pr workstation

Sudev Barar sudev at m4linux.com
Wed Mar 2 13:55:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 14:24 +0100, Henning Wangerin wrote:
> I'm working on a project work multible orgs is going to use thin clients
> form a common shared terminal-server.
>
> Their connection to the internet is a shared common internet connection,
> that will be charged based on usage.
>
> Is there a way to log the internet bandwidth based on either user-id
> and/or then used client?

Build a gateway box between terminal server and common connection:

terminals --- LTSP server ---- gatewaybox ---- Internet

Then let squid do proxy and logging at the gateway box...?? Guru's out
there may come up with better solution but to my limited reading and
knowledge while getting the LTSP server do proxy is possible it is
easily bypassed and internet can be assessed without even setting proxy
in your browser.
--
Sudev Barar <sudev at m4linux.com>