[K12OSN] Build decisions

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Mar 4 12:58:01 UTC 2005

My server's been running without a hiccup for about a year and a half
now.  It's running K12LTSP 3.1.2 (yes, I finally upgraded it from the
ancient 2.1.2).

Understand that Fedora is, by definition, a bleeding-edge distro.  Thus,
K12LTSP has some of those bleeding-edge elements as well, though Yellow
Dog Linux 4.0 is basically FC2 for PPC and has proven quite stable for
me.  If you're looking for uncompromising stability and don't need the
K12-specific apps preinstalled, then you can basically choose your
favorite distro (mine is Slackware) and put LTSP on it.  That's my
strategy for business settings, including school main offices, in which
case I tend to use SuSE Linux Pro.  If, on the other hand, you need a
turnkey LTSP-ifyed distro that's easier than anything (including
Windows) to install and get going, and if you need the K12-specific
stuff, go for K12LTSP.  I've found even the Fedora releases more stable
than any version of Windows (we have lots of Windows Server 2003 at
work), so even if you go bleeding-edge Fedora, you'll already be far
ahead of where you are now.

In short, if you know what you're doing, there's no technical reason not
to use Centos if you're more comfortable with it.

--TP