[K12OSN] Build decisions

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Mar 4 15:43:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 07:59, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am actually on Centos 3.3, but all I have configured is my DNS.  I can
> copy those files, reinstall without much of a care (but waiting 2 weeks as
> next week is IETF in Minneapolis and the following IEEE 802 plenary in
> Altanta; I'm a standards guy doing security research).  So my allegance is
> to stablity (my NT boxen have been running for years, sometimes boots are
> months apart).

Centos 4.0 should inherit the RHEL commitment of 5 years of backported
security/bugfix updates.  Centos 3.x is already 2 years into it's
version of the cycle.

> I do not even *KNOW* what the K12 apps are and if I want them.  Really all
> I want is an NT domain replacement!!!

I was thinking of the stock desktop applications (firefox, openoffice,
evolution), etc.) more than the k12-specific things, but if you
don't use the box interactively or run X sessions from thin clients,
those won't matter.

> So it almost sounds like I should wait a few weeks (perhaps Centos 4.0 will
> have some more cleanup done by then), go with the new Centos and work out
> what it takes to get this script rurnning on it.

Centos 4.0 has already been through beta/rc releases so I'd expect it to
be pretty solid now.  The only thing I thought looked bad in the release
notes was that it didn't handle USB hard drives.  Regardless, the
ability to 'yum update' is valuable.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com