[K12OSN] changing xscreensaver default time...how?

Sudev Barar sudev at m4linux.com
Sun Mar 6 04:04:51 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 15:27 -0500, David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Saturday, March 5, 2005 at 7:28 AM +0000 wrote:
> >Would running this from gdm.conf work? I usually run xosvies from
> >gdm.conf so that the overall system situation is visible from any
> >terminal that is not logged in but switched on.
>
> Can you explain this a bit more...I'm not following you...how do I do this?

/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf is the file that runs the startup screen
if /etc/sysconfig/desktop is set to run GDM as display manager (default
in k12ltsp)

So all the login screen attributes are controlled by this file. Position
of login box / welcome message etc. etc. Look at the file it is easy to
understand. It also allows you to run background programs at the log in
screen itself, although file permissions and security have to be set
properly.
1. To run any program in background uncomment the line and change to 0:
#BackgroundType=2
Or you can set this to 1 and use custom images (Events / Teachers /
Messages of the day) as we do by additionally uncommenting the line
below and adding full path to picture. My system line is:
BackgroundImage=/usr/share/pixmaps/MOTD.png

2. Uncomment and set this to true:
#RunBackgroundProgramAlways=false

3. Uncomment and add the program (with full path) you wish to run here:
#BackgroundProgram=

I think this will set you on your way. In my case the program to run is
set as:
BackgroundProgram=/usr/X11R6/bin/xosview -geometry 100x300

HTH

--
Sudev Barar <sudev at m4linux.com>