[K12OSN] OT: Network FAX system vs. 12 FAX numbers

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 01:33:05 UTC 2005

--- Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:

> Do you know if there are pure-software fax-over-voip
> programs so
> you don't have to connect to a real fax machine?
> When I was
> using hylafax years ago the modems seemed to be the
> weakest
> link in the concept and sometimes would not quite
> work with
> certain fax machines at the other end.  It would be
> nice if
> a service company handled that part of the problem
> for you.

I don't know about that.  In my setup, the modems that
you are referring to are replaced by a Linksys RT31P2
router (it came with my Vonage service).  It is a
normal wired router with firewalling capabilities, but
it has the following ports:  1 "internet" port, 3
ethernet switch ports, and 2 phone ports.  The setup
for the phone ports is controlled remotely by Vonage.
I cannot access that screen in the router's setup
utility.

I've only had the service for a couple of months now,
but it seems pretty solid.  I know that if I was
running a business and needed multiple phone and fax
lines, I'd definitely use VOIP.  But I'm not familiar
with systems like hylafax, so I can't say for sure
that a Vonage-like system would be better.  I just
know that it's a good way to get inexpensive phone/fax
service.

-Rob