[K12OSN] Installing 4.2.0 via NFS (please HELP!)

Sudev Barar sudev at m4linux.com
Mon Mar 14 06:09:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 11:44 -0800, richard ingalls wrote:
> For reasons beyond my understanding, I CANNOT install
> from my CD ROM.  It boots from CD, normal boot screen,
> hit <enter> at the prompt to begin normal install,
> then no GUI and it asks me where I want to install
> from: CD, hard drive, NFS, HTTP, etc.  If I choose
> CDROM it tells me it cannot find a CDROM drive to
> mount.  SO, I have copied the .ISOs to the hard drive
> of this PC as well as to another LTSP server in my
> building.  I have exported the directory (NFS) where
> these .ISOs are located on the remote server, so I'm
> ready to try installing via NFS.

On the other machine make a directory in your http tree...for a standard
RedHat / Fedora it is /var/www/html/<new-directory>

Mount the first CD and using nautilus / konqueror and open the CD's
files (not iso) and copy all including subdirectories to the newly
created directory. Mount the second CD and copy only the files in RPMS
subdirectory to the RPMS sub-directory under the new directory. Repeat
for the third / fourth.
Start apache server by giving command:
#service httpd restart

Start the install  with command "linux askmethod" Choose http as source
and provide needed IP etc. to start the install.

HTH
--
Sudev Barar <sudev at m4linux.com>