[K12OSN] hangs on X server screen

Joe Guenther jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca
Mon Mar 14 19:11:41 UTC 2005

This morning, on an othewise functional 4.2 system for the past 2 months,
a whole lab had trouble logging in a the terminals.  The workstations
would boot, but stay stuck on the grey screen with the big X cursor.  I
then rebooted the server, and with one or two workstations booting
simultaneously I got the class logged in.  Then on logout, all
workstations are stuck on the grey X screen.  no reboot of the server has
solved this.  I have deleted the entire /tmp directory in an attempt to
clear crud that has stuck around ... no luck

What is happening? are there tmp, cache or log files that need to be
cleared?  These workstations were fine on Friday and at 8:00 this morning
I could get in from a workstation in my office, but now nobody can get in.

Is there a cron job that I can create to keep this from happening again?

Joe Guenther
Lantech - Didsbury
Chinook's Edge School Div.