[K12OSN] hangs on X server screen

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Mar 14 23:39:37 UTC 2005

Joe Guenther wrote:
> THAT does NOT sound like the solution I wanted to hear. :-(

Fortunately it is not a recommended solution...

> Still makes me even more perplexed as to what is happening??????

The first thing I usually do is scan /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure

I run "dmesg" and see if anything unusual appears (such as IDE or SCSI
timeouts).

If you have sar installed (part of the sysstat package), you can look at
your system statistics for anomolies ("sar -A" will spew TONNES of
stats). If you don't have sar installed, you can install it for next
time... (yum install sysstat)

I always double-check that DNS is working properly & the entries in
/etc/resolv.conf are correct.

With LTSP-related problems, I review the LTSP trouble-shooting guide:
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/TroubleShooting

If I think there might be a miss-configuration or otherwised messed-up
software, I have RPM verify all of the installed software:

	rpm -Va > /tmp/rpmreport

This will list every file that has been changed since it was installed
by rpm. The output will contain one line per modified file, in the format:

S.5....T  c /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

Here is what the first set of letters mean:

        S file Size differs
        M Mode differs (includes permissions and file type)
        5 MD5 sum differs
        D Device major/minor number mismatch
        L readLink(2) path mismatch
        U User ownership differs
        G Group ownership differs
        T mTime differs

The "c" means it is a configuration file.

Those are usually enough to point me in the right direction for fixing
whatever may be broken.

-Eric