[K12OSN] Push Icon to desktop problem

Liam Marshall lsrpm-1 at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 15 04:46:23 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of Dan Young
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:01 PM
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Push Icon to desktop problem

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 21:41 -0600, Liam Marshall wrote:

>      1. A copy of the original file for Push Icons to desktop, from
>         usr/sbin to get it back to original condition.  I am afraid I
>         messed mine up and didn't save a copy of the original

# rpm -Uvh --force
http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/yum/fc3/RPMS/k12ltsp/root-desktop-urls-0.1-k1
2ltsp.0.4.2.noarch.rpm

Is the above terminal line command replacing just the messed up file, or all
items on root's desktop as well?

>      1. and I would appreciate a way/script to remove an icon/link
>         from desktops globally, like Push Icon.. Now does.  I really
>         need to get the kiddie programs off the older kid's desktops,
>         not to mention the staff members.  I shudder to think of
>         manually deleting it from each Desktop folder

# for each in `getent passwd | cut -d ':' -f6`; do ls -D \
> $each/Desktop/foo.desktop; done

Replace foo.desktop w/ the .desktop item for your icon, make sure it
lists the right stuff, then replace "ls" w/ "rm -f".

this removes the extra stuff I accidently added to everyone, right?
So how do I push an icon/link to just the users under say,
/home/kindergarten1/user1,,,user2   etc?

--
Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us>
Parkrose School District