[K12OSN] MB Temperature

Liam Marshall lsrpm-1 at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 18 21:27:12 UTC 2005

My k12ltsp server (4.2) sits on a machine running from an ASUS dual cpu motherboard.  It has been functioning flawlessly for several months.  The other day it went down.

I checked the logs.  System log reported a message that the temperature had reached 60 degrees and it was initiating a shutdown.  The messages went on to state that the shutdown was nice and orderly.

I did not even know that was possible for the os to be aware of mb and cpu temperature.  I am glad it detected a high temp and shut down prior to real damage, but have no IDEA why it went high.  I will investigate.

Question 1  Is there a way to manually check the temperature while server is running?  from the terminal? elsewhere?  Personally, I would like to check the temp at various times under various loads to try and sus out why the temp spiked and for general interests.  I was not in the lab at the time.  Some grade 3 students were using it and doing fairly inoccuous stuff