[K12OSN] lts.conf query

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Mar 23 13:52:51 UTC 2005

> I don't see the point.  It just isn't worth the trouble in my opinion.
>
> I'll bet it wouldn't take 2 minutes to add the entries for
> all of the workstations.

I can see the point,I just don't know if it would help.  In the case of
20 machines not much of a problem.  But say on my campus here I hope to
have about 350 machines by next year.  So in that case if there were 50
of half a dozen different types it may be usefull.  But on the other
hand if you had to enter specific wsxxx under each group that would be
time consuming as well.  Plus I don't get how only entering a
workstation name would have any consistancy.  Can't workstation names
change at random depending on lease times and boot orders?  I would
think you would have to have a list of mac addresses.  And in that case
you would almost need some sort of database or spreadsheet to track mac
addresses, and at that point you could throw a script at an output from
the database and be done in seconds.

My 2 cents.