[K12OSN] Managing usernames and passwords across 6 K12LTSP servers (NEWBIE)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 23 22:03:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 14:42, Henning Wangerin wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 04:01, David Trask wrote:
> > My choice?  Make one of them the Samba/LDAP server (smbldap) and simply
>
> Why samba?
>
> To me it sounds like a clean K12 install with no winblows install, so a
> simple nfs sharing would do it. But I might be wrong ;-)

If you follow the directions for the samba/ldap setup you'll end up with
LDAP authentication for Linux logins that will keep your NFS user ids
consistent and with no extra work you will be able to let windows users
log into the same domain (via samba) with the same logins and
permissions.  Even if you don't use windows clients now it might be
handy to already have it set up later.

> > point all the others to that....if at all possible connect them via a
> > gigabit backbone
>
> Sure. The higher bandwitdh the better.
>
> But I'd think that a 100Mb switched backbone should be able to cope with
> it.

There are 30 clients, which is about the point where people start to
notice the difference with a gig server uplink.  However if they
are split into smaller numbers each behind a 2-Nic'd server then it
probably doesn't make much difference.  There is not as much traffic
to the home directories which will be over the backbone as to the
clients which will be isolated in smaller groups.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com