[K12OSN] Problem Booting thin client on K12LTSP4.2

Lawrence Harriott lharriott at mail.gotelja.com
Wed Mar 30 18:24:44 UTC 2005

Hi list,

I set up a K12LTSP4.2 box a few days ago and can't seem to boot any thin
clients. I installed from the CD's then upgraded via Internet using
apt-get to get everything up to date. The server seems to be ok but my
thin client, a 233MHz AMD-K5 using an e100 NIC (non of my DM9102AF cards
boot properly)gets to the point of doing the the PIVOT-ROOT and just
sits there for a while then decides that it cannot find the server. It
gives this message, nfs: server 192.168.0.254 not responding, still
trying.    Var/log/messages reports that the mountd: authenticated mount
request from ws150.

Using another linux machine I can mount and access the nfs shares, no
problem.

Incidentally, I am booting using a rom-o-matic 'universal' boot
diskette. This machine insists that it is 192.168.0.150 regardless of
what I set it to in dhcpd.conf. I have no idea where it gets that IP
from.

I would appreciate any help in getting this to work. I have googled
around a bit but have not yet found anything on this particular issue. I
am wondering whether the NIC or the upgrade may be the culprit!

Thanks
Lawrence