[K12OSN] RAID5 so slow?

Chris Thomas cwt137 at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 15:48:29 UTC 2005

Raid5 not only stripes the data across multiple drives
like Raid0 but, Raid5 also calculates a checksum on
the data and puts that on the drive too. This is so
that when a drive is lost, the data is safe and with
the checksum data, you can put in a new drive and
restore the lost info. With Raid0, when you loose a
drive, you loose the data for good.

What makes Raid 5 so slow is that it takes a lot of
cpu power to calculate the checksum on the fly. I
assume you are doing software raid 5, which makes it
even slower. I would get a pci raid controler that has
hardware raid support (not all pci raid cards are
hardware based raid controllers). This will make Raid
5 much faster. But it will never be as fast as Raid0.

Chris