[K12OSN] SATA hot-swap hardware recommendations

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed May 4 19:47:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 14:15, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Henry Burroughs wrote:
> > I'm looking to build a file backup server, and I want to use SATA and
> > have a hot swap drive internal drive enclosure.  Can anyone recommend
> > good hardware to do this with?  ie: a motherboard or controller and/or
> > enclosure that will work properly under Linux and allow me to remove a
> > drive live (the drive will be an off-site copy of the data).
>
> One word, Henry: 3ware.  Go to newegg.com and search for this product.
> They make exceptional hardware raid controllers with kernel support.
> Their drive enclosures are elegant, and you can of course remove a drive
> while the system is live.  There is a web-based management tool that
> allows one to stop the drive.  A script called from convenient desktop
> icons would be better, but ...

You may or may not consider it important to be able to easily mount
the same drive into some (any?) other machine.  You can get this by
either getting a matching enclosure for an offsite location or
by using one with USB capability.  If you are using hardware raid
you probably need exactly matching spare hardware to use the drive
at all elsewhere, so buy two at the same time.  I'm still having
trouble with FC3 and firewire, but I do like having the ability to
plug the USB connector into my laptop and restore backups from the
external drive.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com