[K12OSN] Samba/OpenLDAP or MS ADS (or maybe NDS)...

John Hansknecht jhansknecht at hanstech.com
Wed May 4 19:49:45 UTC 2005

OK, we are finally going to replace our WindowsNT domain which is our current
authentication method for Windows and LTSP clients. I am currently evaluating
the options. I have a couple of specific questions regarding the
Samba/OpenLDAP solutions.
First, the following I believe are correct statements. Please let me know if I
am wrong on any of them
Samba / Open LDAP will:
1) Allow computers running Windows XP Prof to 'join the domain'
2) Authenticate users logging in from Windows XP Prof. clients.
3) Handle providing a logon script to Users logging on From Windows XP Prof
clients
4) Handle mapping to profile server for roaming profiles for Windows XP Prof
clients

But, my question is how do you handle group policies. Is anyone aware of a
tool that will create/apply proper group policy files to use as part of this
Samba / OpenLDAP solution? If not, how are you handling policies? Is it
working satisfactorily for you?

--

Thanks,

John

 system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.
                - Mattrol at uscom.com (Drakmere)