[K12OSN] Imaging software

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 13 18:56:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 21:26, Doug Simpson wrote:
>Randall Swift wrote:
> >I am curious as to what is out there for (and what people are using) for
> >imaging software. I have nortons ghost but I am not happy with it. I am
> >looking for a GPL solution that will allow me to do imaging across a
> >network. Thanks

> Knoppix and rsync!
>
> Works for me!

If you are doing exactly matching disks, you can dd the whole disk,
with or without ssh'ing to another machine and with or without
going to an intermediate file copy, with or without compression.
That way is slow because you have to copy the unused parts of the
disk, but it will come up with the same partitions and boot sector.

There are any number of ways to do file based copies - tar, rsync, etc.
These let you go to different sized partitions or different filesystem
types but you have to do the grunge work of creating the partitions
and filesystems, adjusting /etc/fstab and reinstalling grub yourself.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com