[K12OSN] eSchool News Article

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Tue May 17 13:19:08 UTC 2005

I caught Mike Huffman's talk at a conference last November. I was amazed
to hear a state official, particularly a DOE official, so fervently and
pragmatically behind open source.

Actually, while they did use Wintergreen whitebox systems for the pilot,
the details of the main rollout are still uncertain. Dell has come on
board as a partner and has been "very supportive" they say. The software
has also changed from Linspire to Novell, since Novell is also a partner
in the deal now.

No surprise, this plan has raised many concerns on the part of tech
coordinators across the state, from infrastructure (where do we get all
those outlets?), to support for all those new machines, to outright FUD
regarding OSS.

The newest Indiana Tech Coordinators mailing list doesn't have an online
archive yet that I know of, but I've included Mike Huffman's post to
that list below, if anyone is interested

Vern

--
This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose