[K12OSN] Help me fight FUD

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri May 20 13:27:04 UTC 2005

Speaking of WordPerfect, when talking with people who say "Kids should use MS Office
because that is what they'll encounter in the business world", it should be pointed out
that WordPerfect is still used quite a lot, particularly in legal environments.  The
idea that the world only uses MS Office is a simplistic myth, partly created by reports
on the *sales* numbers of MS Office & WordPerfect, which don't reveal anything about the
existing installed base.  The point is it's a false assumption, which therefore leads to
bad conclusions like the above claim.  Not to mention, as we have all discussed, kids
need to learn the concepts, not the particulars of one word processor over another.

Petre