[K12OSN] Re: Big Troubles- getting desparate

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 15:58:29 UTC 2005

Thanks Michael, Mark and Jim,

Will our server still work if in.authd is disabled?  I do NIS and NFS off of
it too.  It has one gig nic and the onborad 10/100 is disabled.  We ran the
server off the network and with all clients rurned off.  Things begin to go
bad when clients boot.  It doesn't matter what lab boots.  CPU usage shown
on top is normal with or without clients up.

I work in a Canadian school and today is a day off- similar to your holiday
next Monday, so I still have a day for ideas before we cancel classes.

I was just saying to our librarians that our K12LTSP system had been working
so well for months...

<snip>
>Hi Everyone!  Well, Murphy is coming a-calling...  Friday pm and most gurus
>are off for a long week-end-  Yikes.

>All of our clients are dropping off after only running a short while-
>minutes...  The twin 3 gig mp server is crawling- K12ltsp 4.2.   A reboot
>just allows all of the slow downs and trouble to begin minutes after
>reboot.

>ps -aux | grep ident

>returns hundreds of:

>ident 10068 0.9 0.0 7280 720 ? Rs 14:51 0:01 in.authd -t60 --xerror --os -E
>ident 10072 0.5 0.0 5556 720 ? Rs 14:52 0:00 in.authd -t60 --xerror --os -E

It looks like something is triggering multiple in.authd processes. You
can probably sakely turn this service off (edit /etc/xinetd.d/auth). I
believe this process is spawned because of incoming traffic on port 113.
It might be instructive to run ethereal to see if someone is trying a
DOS using this port.
</snip>