[K12OSN] OT: Bulk Image Resizing (from photo cds)

Timothy Legge tlegge at rogers.com
Wed May 25 01:47:24 UTC 2005

Roger wrote:
> On 5/24/05, Vern Ceder <vceder at canterburyschool.org> wrote:
>
>>ImageMagick will do it...
>>
>>http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
>

> with the 'convert' utility, I've done something similar to:
> for i in `ls *.jpg ;do convert -size 180x180 $i -resize 180x180
> +profile "*" tn-$i;done

Thanks, I used:

for i in *.jpg; do convert -resize 800x600 -quality 75 $i tn-$i; done

The really bizarre part was that I thought that an error was occuring
trying to insert the images to OpenOffice.org.  However the problem was
that the Insert Graphics dialog would not show the files.  It turns out
that OpenOffice.org will not display images that have a .JPG (note the
uppercase) extension.  I had to rename them to get OOo to show the file
names.  I assume its a bug.

To try it your self run the following on a folder of .jpg files and try
to insert the graphic in OOo:

for i in nr*.jpg; do mv $i ${i%jpg}JPG; done

To return to lower case:

for i in nr*.JPG; do mv $i ${i%JPG}jpg; done

Obviously I can't guarantee the commands above but they worked for me.

Tim