[K12OSN] killing Active Directory - direction needed for Samba/LDAP installer

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 09:08:26 UTC 2005

Matt Oquist wrote:
> The newest version of the Samba/LDAP Installer theoretically should
> work on almost any Linux distribution, and it has been successfully
> tested with Ubuntu, K12LTSP 4.4.1, and FC4.  (The newest version is
> always at http://majen.net/smbldap/.  Updated documentation is in
> progress.)
>
> But any multi-site organization wishing to utilize this has a number
> of remaining problems to solve, and I'd like to see how the installer
> can be improved to deal with those problems.  In each area, we need to
> consider what Active Directory (the competition), is like.
>
> 1. Ease of configuration
>    Clickity-click, I want AD, clickity-click, I want users,
>    clickity-click I want trust relationships in my WAN.  Pretty GUIs
>    are available to do everything.  To be a viable alternative,
>    Samba/LDAP must be easily installable and configureable.  While
>    a GUI interface to the Samba/LDAP installer/configurer would be
>    nice, ATM I consider this to be lower in priority than some other
>    things.
>
> 2. Ease of management
>    Managing users and groups is easy and clicky in AD.  I'm a command
>    line buff, but most other people are not CLI buffs.  Those people
>    want GUIs, which means that management GUIs are a necessity if
>    a smallish organization without UNIX gurus is going to seriously
>    consider switching from AD to Samba/LDAP.
>
>    Webmin has some modules, IDEALX has the Samba Management Console,
>    and I've even heard people mention that they use Windows-based
>    applications to manage Samba/LDAP.
>
>    What recommendations do any of you have?  Which GUIs are the best?
>    Which ones are the easiest to configure?  Which ones are the most
>    stable?  Which ones are the most powerful?  Which ones are the
>    safest -- from a security standpoint and a newbie-administrator
>    standpoint?
>
>    If we can arrive upon a particular tool or set of tools that work
>    the best, I hope the Samba/LDAP installer can begin to address that
>    installation and configuration as well.  (Whatever tool is chosen
>    must be readily available as an RPM/deb, and very preferrably
>    installable with normal yum/apt repositories.)
>
> 3. How to do WAN configurations?
>    Here's where it will become rather obvious that I haven't done much
>    of anything with LDAP myself; I'm not even a sysadmin of more than
>    my home network so I haven't been using Samba/LDAP.  But what is
>    the best way to implement Samba/LDAP in a multi-site WAN?
>
>    I have a particular scenario in mind.  Suppose a given school
>    district has 10 schools on a WAN, and each school currently has its
>    own AD domain.  Each AD domain trusts all the others, so each user
>    can log in at each school with her own regular username and
>    password.
>
>    I realize that AD is just LDAP and Kerberos with some Embrace
>    & Exteeeeeeend applied, but based on how the Samba/LDAP Installer
>    works and my rather superficial understanding of LDAP itself, it
> [...]

The two tools I use to manage our Samba/LDAP and LAM (Ldap Account Manager) and JXplorer
(http://pegacat.com/jxplorer/) which is Java based and makes manipluating LDAP really easy. I still
use the cli for the initial generation of users but I reading the LAM mailing list they have a
module for this that will create the homedirs so you as well.

I've played with the idealx modules and GOSA (https://gosa.gonicus.de/). Idealx is quite nice but I
have issues with it's speed but I expect if I spent some time on it that would be solved. GOSA is
really flashy but you need to add a few schema's to openldap and seems a little overkill for me.

I've got phpldapadmin installed but it coughs with the number of users I have (approx 1200)

It would be quite nice if the installer could offer the option to setup the machine as a BDC /
SlaveLDAP server. I've setup several machine as slave's and it's reduced the load on our main LDAP
server hugely. If you'd like to read what I've done have a look at
http://www.chivers.info/Samba3-OpenLDAP-slave-server-config.html

Brian