[K12OSN] Re: Try this utility to test your thin client network

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 00:06:57 UTC 2005

On 11/6/05, Terrell Prudé, Jr. <microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:

>  On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 16:32 -0800, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> the packet size (the -s parameter), I get a good test.  I'll typically do
> 100, 500, and 1490; this last one, with Ethernet frame padding, gives the
> standard MTU of 1518 bytes.  The reason for this is that I've found some
> poorly-made gear that chokes at an Ethernet frame size beyond 1500 bytes,
>
>  Also, I'll typically run 1,000 packets per ping session.  I do that because
> of a problem similar to one that I had to track down and fix this last week.
>  At times, 100-200 pings would get through, but it'd choke for maybe half a
> second to five seconds after that.

Interesting, I'll try your suggestions.

>  One other thing about both the -A and the -i parameters: my reading tells
> me that, if you're not root, the minimum interval you'll be able to get is
> one packet every 200ms, is that your experience as well?

Yes, exactly.
I also set the -p (pattern) setting to hex 'aa' because in binary it's
10101010 and supposedly this type of pattern stresses components more.
Although the -p setting states that you can add 16 of these pad bytes
so maybe it will accept 14 more hex numbers.

--
Robert Arkiletian