[K12OSN] website blocking

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Nov 9 17:09:24 UTC 2005

Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 11/9/05, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
>
>>That's come up before: For DansGuardian or SquidGuard to work, they must be installed on
>>a machine separate from the terminal server; it won't work if you install it on the
>>terminal server.
>

> Is that for sure? On the previous version of ltsp (the one released
> last year) I had it running on the terminal server no problem. You
> just have to make sure that each account's proxy is set to the correct
> port.
>
> Joseph

I think that was the issue: people wanted to be able to prevent students from bypassing
the filtered proxy.  If it's set in each user's account, the user could just go in and
turn off the proxy setting and hit any site.  Using a separate box as the gateway &
proxy made it impossible to sneak around the filter (and eliminated the need to
configure every user's setup).