[K12OSN] Fedora LTSP or Ubuntu LTSP, that is the question

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Nov 10 19:24:06 UTC 2005

Jim McQuillan wrote:

> Thanks, but keep in mind that Eric and I are also working VERY closely
> with the Ubuntu developers to make Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu as
> robust as possible.  In fact, we just got back from the Ubuntu
> developers meeting in Montreal, where we created specifications
> for the next release (6.04 - Dapper Drake).  Expect future versions to
> knock your socks off.

I am very excited about the next release, or at least what I have read
on the wiki.  Ubuntu has long knocked my socks off (well, flip-flops out
here), and those of a lot of kids.  The fact that edubuntu was so
quickly created, and that kubuntu has been exalted, is blinding
testimony to the strength of a FOSS development model.  It is
outstanding that you guys are collaborating with Ubuntu.  I hope the
debian-edu team is involved, too.

I knew a lot of work was going into breezy, yourselves included.
Because of how much reverence I have for this distro, I actually *was*
surprised that it was not perfectly shiny yet in a k12ltsp setting.  I
did not imagine that it would take a year to reach the same state (or
better) as the K12 or Skole.  It made me realize just how much work had
gone into the current state of the K12LTSP, and it is this that I was
praising.

As a debian die-hard and heavy advocate of Ubuntu, I hope my comments
did not sound dismissive or disrespectful of Muekow.  I'm clearly more
of a manager than a developer, so my idea of how long things should take
borders somewhere in the area of clueless. :-)

> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org

--scott