[K12OSN] dhcp not authoritative question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Nov 29 22:15:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:44, William Fragakis wrote:

> We, of course, could put the clients behind a switch but that
> physically limits us to a server per class - because of the cabling
> layout - and I'd like (and have the horsepower) to serve more clients
> per server.
>
> Could I hand clients a 192.168.x.x address (the win network is
> 10.x.x.x) and have them only talk to the k12server on the same network?
> Would this impact the 10.x.x.x Win PCs? Again, any other ideas I'm
> overlooking?

You'll break the existing network if you add another DHCP server. You
either have to use separate networks (physical or VLAN) or configure
your DHCP server to use an alternate port and use a corresponding boot
floppy.  I haven't done this but it has been discussed on the list
some time ago.  If you start with the alternate port approach, perhaps
at some point you can get the Cisco dhcp disabled or modified so
PXE booting will work.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com