[K12OSN] can't get vncserver to start

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:03:28 UTC 2005

On 10/3/05, Debbie Schiel <debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au> wrote:
> but I still can't get through to connect to other vnc servers.
>
> Can you help?

Try setting up the firewall with

system-config-securitylevel

Leave eth0 as trusted or your thin clients won't work. Try opening up
5900 and 5901. I'm not sure of all the ports vnc uses.
You can try to disable the firewall on eth1 temporarily and see if it
works. Another recommendation is to install the nx server rpms from
the extras repo and use it with the client software from nomachine.com
I was asking the list how to do this just recently. If you use
encryption you don't have to worry about opening ports as long as ssh
works. BTW NX is much faster than vnc and the client runs on any
platform.

--
Robert Arkiletian